Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Reality



A conversation between Zac and I went something like this while standing in Borders in front of the Women's Health magazine section:

Zac says, "Wow, I feel really bad for you Becky. Every magazine talks about how to flatten your abs or lose twenty pounds before summer with some kind of magic food."

"I know, isn't it so sad that is all there is for me to read in regards to health?"

"You should write your own magazine about interesting stuff for women to read about."

"You're right, I should. I will call it Reality."

So that was our experience tonight at the bookstore. I always forget how we are bombarded with so many messages about our bodies and how to perfect them. What do you think about a magazine that included women's imperfections and thoughts about topics other than being thin and fit? It could have women write in questions about how to overcome certain insecurities or embracing the bodies they have. Some titles I thought of were Reality, Imperfections, Moderation, Mediocrity, Embrace, any other ideas out there?

I know this whole magazine idea is a little far fetched, but I love to study about the human body and how it works, and all I can find out there to read about makes me feel bad about my body. I know it helps me to be aware of the messages the media is trying to portray. It is nights like tonight that help me to remeber to filter out the crap.

Does anyone out there have any magazines they enjoy and would recommend?

Who knows, maybe one day I will act on this random idea, we'll see how I feel in the morning.

6 comments:

Meggan said...

I totally think you should start a magazine. In fact, I'll do some free lance writing and you can publish it for me. I like Reality or Embrace.

I think everyone likes the idea of looking and feeling good in their own skin, including me, but I also think there is a limit. Feeling good and looking "perfect" are not the same thing.

nicole said...

That is a good idea Becky. I say you go for it! It is sad how media destroys our self confidence.

ashley said...

i agree, start a mag. i will help too. that is a really really great idea, and i totally think that you could hit it big. we need something level headed out there.

The Collins said...

I totally agree with you Becky! I hate reading all that stuff about how you need to improve this or that. I think you should go ahead with your plan and start a magazine. You would do a great job at it. By the way this is Shelly from provo ward like 4 1/2 years ago. I lived in the hot cot with amy carpenter(meyers) Christy, lindsey, etc. I was so excited to find you on here cause I havent seen you in so long. Hope all is well. You and your husband look so cute together. Good luck with your amazing idea. Talk soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan Beck. I like Reality. That's the best title, I think. I'm sure you could do it too.

I like Megg's idea too about "feeling good" and "looking perfect" - not the same, but if we can at least feel good about ourselves, we would have one less thing to worry about.

S.A.S. said...

Becky! Um, you KNOW I'm behind you 200% on this. I'm completely disenchanted with obsessing about how to look like the mini-me-post-surgery-and-endless-hours-at-the-gym-and-makeup-counter. While this doesn't mean I'm going any kind of granola, I don't want my future daughters to think I care more about what I look like than what's in my brain and soul. And I CERTAINLY want them to know that I love them for what's on their beautiful little insides, which they won't pick up as well, I'm convinced, if I'm nitpicking MY outside. You know?

Love love LOVE Elder Holland's talk on this a few conferences ago. Maybe you could sneak a few of his lines into your opening Letter from the Editor. If you need a guest writer ever, I'm totally game.

Do it.