Monday, June 16, 2008

I'm Alive...Literally!

I haven't posted in a while because I've been held hostage in the hospital for the last 8 days. What started as a vacation for Zac and I down in California ended up being an extended stay at the Mission Viejo Hospital. Who knew that the hospital I was born in 26 years ago would be the same hospital I thought I was going to die in last week!
It all started Friday night, June 6th, when Zac and I spent a long six hours in the waiting room of the ER due to severe stomach and back pain. As the pain worsened it made it difficult to breath. By the time we got through triage and made it to a room, they immediately began to run a series of tests including blood tests, urine sample, cat scan, EKG, and ultrasound. The results of the the testing showed that I was experiencing Hyperstimulation, a very rare side effect of the fertility treatment I was undergoing. This caused fluid to build up in my abdominal cavity causing severe pain throughout my organs. Three separate times they had to make an incision in my lower abdomen and drain the fluid through a catheter totally over 10 liters of fluid. Pain medicine quickly became my best friend and I can see how one can become addicted!
I had a few scary episodes including passing out in the middle of the night while going to the bathroom causing me to fall and hit my head. Luckily Zac was sleeping in the room and heard a loud thud. I was rushed for an emergency MRI to rule out any internal bleeding of my brain. Thankfully everything was okay. I stopped breathing and started sweating profusely a few times when the pain got too bad, scaring Zac half to death.
I was going downhill pretty fast by Sunday, so Monday morning I was moved to the cardiac ICU so they could keep a closer eye on me and try to keep my blood count stabilized. I was attached to several different monitors making me feel more clausterphobic than I already felt. I think a counted seven- an oxygen canula in my nose, a blood pressure cuff, a pulse oximeter, an EKG monitor, a foley (bladder) catheter, automated compression stockings and an IV. It made for quite the sight! I was in the ICU through Friday with lots of ups and downs, and by Friday night I was sent to the first floor with hopes of being discharged the next day. After being chewed out by my roommate for eating a bag of chips at 9:30 and my vibrating leg compressors making too much noise, I was sent to a more welcoming roommate who watched Dora the Explorer in spanish all night while answering phone calls from her family as if it were 1:00 in the afternoon! It made for a long night.
Luckily they were able to discharge me on Saturday afternoon with lots of medications. Unfortunately, none of them included pain medication and Extra strength Tylenol isn't quite doing the trick. I went through withdrawals on Saturday and Sunday from not having the immediate relief that my intravenous pain meds provided. Thinking I was going to be making a swift return to the hospital that night, I received a blessing from the guys in my family and it's now Monday night and I am at my sisters relaxing. The doctors said it'll be a couple weeks until I am back to my normal health, but I am just so grateful to be out of the hopsital! I managed to gain 30 pounds in about 5 days from all of the fluid build-up. I am slowly getting rid of it thanks to frequent urinations.
It was so nice to be in California when this all happened so that my family was able to visit a lot. My mom came and sat with me everyday and my sister, Sarah, came almost everyday. By Wednesday I was feeling so dirty from not being able to shower, that my mom and Sarah came and shaved my legs and washed my hair for me. It felt so good to be somewhat clean again!
I am so much appreciating the change in scenery even if it is just at my parent's house. I had had it with the hospital food and being surrounded by such sick people made me depressed, but grateful for my health that I take for granted everyday. I feel so blessed to have such wonderful doctors and medicine that makes it possible for us to recover from the physical ailments that we experience. We are heading back to Arizona sometime this week. We are waiting for me to feel well enough to make the drive back.

27 comments:

Frei Family said...

I am so sorry!! I am glad that you are doing better!!! I feel so horrible... is there anything that you need?? Ill call you... i hope you are okay??

Bryan, Natalie, Maya and Little B said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're doing a bit better! Take it easy and get well soon!

mcwally said...

Becky!!
Oh my heavens. We were with your family last Sunday for William's baby blessing and heard the first part of your crazy experience. You have been in our prayers lots this week. I am so glad to hear that you are on the mend... So scary.

Travel safely and feel better!
-Mandy (Andy's wife)

Ben and Teri said...

Becky,
Glad you are out of the hospital and feeling a little better. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. We miss you lots so I hope you are able to make it home soon

Jennie said...

HOLY COW BECK! I had no idea you've been going through so much this past week! I'm so glad that you were able to get the proper care and that you're on the mend. Thank goodness your family was close by to give you lots of TLC.

What a scary episode! Call me when you get back so that I can bring over a meal!!!

S Semon said...

Becky!
I am so glad you are out of the hospital and doing better. I have been very worried about you my little friend! We are going to be neighbors in less than 2 weeks so you have to be back before than! I hope you are doing okay!
Sharon

Aubrey Messick said...

What a scare! I hope you're feeling better and on the way to a speedy recovery!

Holly said...

Holy Cow! I think J talked to Zac a few times while you've been gone and now I'm going to kick his bum for not telling us about you being in THE HOSPITAL! Not that I could do anything, but at least maybe a text could have cheered you up! :) Just kidding. Hang in there and let me know if I can do anything when you get home!

Criscell said...

Becky!!! You have been through SOOO much! I'm so glad you're okay! What an awful experience. I didn't get to talk to you long enough on the phone the other day. I'll call you. When do you think you'll be coming back to AZ? What can I do for you besides pray? Let me bring you some food when you get home! Love you! Hang in there!

Heather said...

Becky! I'm so glad you're feeling better! Thank you so much for calling me to let me know you were okay. It was good to hear your voice! Sarah really had me worried. We hope you're back to normal very soon.

Rachel and Todd said...

Becky--Todd and I had no idea it was this bad! We are so sorry you had to endure all the pain and scary hospital stuff. You are one tough cookie; I'll tell you that. Also, you and Zac have consistently been in our prayers--we love you!

Mands Glenn said...

Girlfriend, You have been through the ringer. Gosh, SCARY! I too am so glad you were by your family so they could take care of you. I'm sure Zac was scared out of his mind. I remember being in the hospital with Jordan when he broke his neck and there is nothing like seeing the one person you love the most in pain and hurt. We love you and you will for sure be in our prayers. Plan on us feeding you with Yummy Mormon casseroles when you get back. love ya! Get better!

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

count on one more meal from the skinners!! i am glad you are on the upward slope of this crazy experience. i hope it is a fast recovery and that you have your health back soon. give me a call when you get a chance.

Sean, Siri, Addie and Connor said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am so sorry to hear about your scary experience. I am glad that you are doing so much better. Keep us posted.

Missy said...

Holy smokes Beck. I'm SO glad that you are ok! Is there anything you need me to run get you while you are here?! I know you are with your family, but still...

Sooo glad they were able to figure out what the stomach symptoms were and that Zac heard the loud thud and that you got your legs shaved (hate hairy legs). Goodness, just glad you are ok!

S.A.S. said...

REBECCA SHAE!!!!!!!! I'm in a panic. It's the middle of the night here and I'm just finding out about your madness. Darling, I'm SO SORRY! Are you alright? That sounds like the most horrific week imaginable... one you certainly don't deserve and one I wish I could just rescue you from! I've had major phone problems, including not having it for 2 days (left at Paul's) and not having phone numbers (boooo Costa Rica)... but need to get to you tomorrow, if from work. Gosh Bex, I'm so worked up and worried. I love you and am so grateful your husband holds the priesthood and that your family is so attentive and loving.
Prayers from the East coast added....

Jules said...

holy cow!!!! that's crazy... so what now? can you still take the fertility drugs? so glad you're doing better-- keep it up... praying for you!

Lillie said...

Becky. What? It's all too much. I see your same gorgeous face in the pictures, it's as if you just had a baby, you know, happy hospital photos. You should be flipping somebody off in those pictures. It's so AWFUL! I feel like I can hear your voice, just casual, funny Becky, and then I keep reading and you've got me all teared up, and goose bumpy and just plain freaked OUT. Poor Zac, he must have been SO worried about you. And of course, with way more enthusiasm, POOR YOU! I'm reading this far too late, it's already Saturday, so I'm really hoping that means you are feeling tons better and I don't have to feel such horrible empathy pains. You've interrupted my eating chocolate cake, now I'm not sure if I can finish it. Feels wrong, so trivial, and yummy, when you've been through such trauma. :) Good luck. It's a good thing you're one of the toughest girls I've ever known.

That was long huh?

The Joslyn Family said...

Oh my goodness, you poor thing. I can't believe that all that happenend to you. Hope you can recover fast and feel better soon.

Talene said...

Oh, man! Hope your feeling better! I willbe in AZ in a week so if there is ANYTHING I can do Please let me know!

Wendy said...

He Beck, I'm happy your home and better. Love ya!!!

Jen Proffit said...

I came across your blog and can't believe this happened to you! I hope you are feeling better and get another chance at a California vacation without the hospital stay soon!

ashley said...

what?!? becky! that is crazy! hope you are back to your feel good self soon! i can't believe all that happened!

Hepworths said...

What in the world BECKY!!! I can't handle it, I had no idea you were in the hospital almost dying. I'm so glad you're feeling a little better. I'm so sorry babe. That must have been awful. Just so you know we're thinking of you. Hope things are back to normal soon. love you!

Eric and Jackie said...

Becky, that is sooooo scary! It brought tears to my eyes thinking of all that pain you had to go through. Hospitals are not a fun place at all, and 8 days. Couldn't imagine.
I'm glad you are doing at least a little better now, but I hope you get back to full strength soon. I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck!

Lacy said...

So crazy and so touching. It's amazing how when you go through something like that you become so grateful for medicine, doctors, friends and family, etc. What a blessing to be with family for such a miserable experience.

Can I come see you? We are going to be in AZ at the end of Sept...

Jill M said...

Becky, I can't believe your ER trauma. I am so sad to hear about the 8 days from Hell. hopefully you are doing great by now. Are you able to go to Sarah's wedding?