Monday, March 12, 2007

I am a Musician!

So I have been substitute teaching on the side. I can only work 40 hours a week at Cheesecake Factory, so decided to try making a little extra money while I can. Today I subbed for a band class for 5th through 8th graders. They asked me if I was a musician. I don't know why, but the words"yes, I am" came uttering out of my mouth before I could think. To those of you who know me, know that I am the furthest from a musician as it gets. I am tone deaf and can not read any music. The teacher left a packet for them to work on which involved music theory and composing their own song. So when the kids would ask me questions about how to do the assignment, like how to write cleft notes and check for rhythm, I told them I can't just give them all the answers, that would be too easy. I told them they could look in their book or ask a classmate. They seriously believed I knew what in the heck they were talking about. I am a little worried however because one of the kids was deaf and his translator was in there listening to my spit out lies. After class she told me what a great sub I was because I was able to keep the kids in control and maintained respect the entire time. She said she was going to tell Mrs. Hamilton, the teacher absent, to call me everytime she needed a sub. I am sure she will throw in that minor detail that I am also a musician. CRAP!! I guess I will just have to be careful to never accept another job from this teacher. How horrible am I. What I thought was just fun and games has n ow turned me into a flat out liar. This is why one of my New Year's Resolutions is to think before I speak.
On a more positive note, I subbed for a class last Friday where all we did was went to see "Night at the Museum" at an IMAX theatre and to a park for lunch. I can't complain, the movie was free and one I had wanted to see. I can get use to this kind of work. Actually, that day has kind of a funny story behind it as well. The whole day was great until the last 30 minutes we had to kill at the end of the day before the bell rang. Two students ran out of the classroom while I was not looking screaming up and down the halls. I was going to let the kids out early to play outside until school got out, but I was so ticked off I told them they all had to stay in the classroom and just sit there. They were all complaining because I wasn't being fair by punishing the whole class and not just the trouble students. To make a ridiculously long story short, they all hated me by the end of the day and mumbled comments like "I thought were a nice sub" and "thanks for being so mean." Turns out one of the students in that class is in our ward. AWKWARD!! He saw me on Sunday and was like "hey you were my sub on Friday. You were so unfair." I just smiled and laughed and kept walking. How sad, now I am going to be known as the lamo sub in the ward. So much for making new friends.

5 comments:

Meggan said...

HAHAHA. Becky, I miss you. You are by far one of the funniest people to ever tell a story. I can't quite picture you as a substitute teacher, but telling your students lies to make you look good seems so Warnickish. Just blame it on your dad for making you into an over-achiever.

I have the same resolution to think before I speak. I'm not doing so well with it either...

Missy said...

This cracked me up. I can see how serious you were, but in your mind, just wondering why you said it. That is so classic.

You are a workaholic. That's awesome. Maybe you can decorate Ikea-style sooner than you think.

Lacy said...

Becky- I love your stories! They bring back memories of singing in the ward Chior when we lived in La Jolla. I didn't notice you were tone deaf but we always stuck together in the alto (or was it the bass?) section. Sarah was such a good sport for letting us sing in her chior! You are so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Meggan- so are you calling us all liars?!!!

Becky, that's pretty funny that you told them you are a musician. You must have subconsciously been thinking of your interpretive dance days, thus making it not a lie at all!

Sarah

Unknown said...

Becky -
My advice? Keep the lies coming - only good will come of it. Trust me - I have LOTS of experience in this area. Rachel is sitting here reading your blog with me and laughing like a banshee. You are hil-AIR-ious. Can you please come to Provo again when I'll be home? PLEASE. Love
Beth (and Ray)