Saturday, March 3, 2007

Ironic



Who would have thought I would be working at the Cheesecake Factory? Not I. It was just a year and a half ago I was ordering a waitresses around telling him/her what I wanted, and now it is my turn to be the slave. I am going to make a top ten list that describes a "nightmare" and, or "high maintenance" guest according to a server/waitress.

1. A party of two order one soda to share, split a meal, and then ask for two "to go" cups.
2. An old lady orders an ice water with lots of lemons and Splenda-homemade lemonade, how sweet.
3. They give you twenty dollars for an 18.00 dollar bill and tell you to keep the change.
4. Can I get that salad with sixteen dressings on the side? Guilty.
5. Can I get a straw, and some more ice, and another napkin, and some more sugar, and a clean fork, and another diet coke, and aaahhhhh!
6. This isn't medium, I asked for a piece of medium steak. Can you get me a decent piece of meat for crying out loud. Can I speak to your manager? Awesome.
7. Can you tell me how many calories are in your Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake? Are you joking?
8. Can I get and ice tea with 3 ice cubes?
9. Can I get a Diet Coke with no straw? I do not want a straw because I have my own and I don't want to get any germs. Is your chicken salad sandwich fresh because I don't like soggy sandwiches. Hello, everything is fresh daily.
10. Arms flailing in the air, eye contact, finger motioning to come, yelling "Check please."

These are just a few of the fun guests I experienced today. I am tired and will most likely have server nightmares, pretty much just the worst things in the world. It is like you can't get away from work. They haunt you and keep you up at night. Anything and everything that could go wrong as a server comes to life in these nightmares. Do you feel bad enough for me yet? Just kidding. I wouldn't still be doing it if I really hated it, and if them oney wasn't good. Lets just say I learn a lot about all different kinds of people at work. Work teaches me tolerance.

12 comments:

Lillie said...

Totally laughing out loud as I am guilty of like 7 of the ten. Picky and cheap... a really bad combination. I'm getting better as I realize I have to start playing adult at some point.

I love hearing about Zac Becky-- I want to meet him some time! You're not that far from us are you? Arizona? Do you ever come out to or through Palm Springs? You would love it in the summer-- it's made for crazy girls that can't be too hot.... NOT for me. :) JK

Missy said...

Haha. Those are hilarious. I can't believe all ten of them happened in one day! That would be hard. Does it make it worth it though that you get to take home a Cheesecake meal and wheat bread at the end of a shift? Sounds good to me. Not to mention the tips.

And wait, did you have to find out how many calories were in the chocolate godiva cheesecake? THAT is hilarious.

I love these stories...they make me laugh.

Jen said...

By the way you described them I would have thought you were in the OC. Where I work (@ a hospital) we actually get patients who act the same way and think that they're in a hotel or something.

Have some class people!

Unknown said...

Beck you are so funny! How is it possible? You make me so happy - even though I am sad that you are far away. Ok I am talking to you on the phone right now so I better go.

Anonymous said...

The salad dressing one is the funniest- I guess what goes around, comes around!

Love reading your blog- keep 'em coming!

Sarah (your favorite sister!)

ashley said...

so funny. keep up the stories.
it's funny to me that people actually think like they do sometimes! and, i am jealous if you do get to take home some of that wheat bread at the end of a shift. every time i go i eat so much bread that i am not even hungry for dessert anymore!

Lacy said...

Becky! Wow- it's so good to "hear" your voice! The funny thing is I can totally picture you in that restaurant in Provo, The Pizza Factory eating your small plate salad bar salad piled soooooooo high! I never thought you were bossy with servers, just assertive(: It is really fun to get a glimpse into your daily life. I have never worked as a server but I can imagine it has it's ups and downs. I'm excited to read more, and yes we should have a reunion the next time we make it out to California. Are you in California?

Tonya said...

Becky, I am Meggan's friend. I know your sister, Sarah, and my kid Ethan goes to preschool with a few of your nieces/nephews. Random... but I love new bloggers!

I love this post. How can people ask for things like this with a straight face? My dad does the "flag down the waiter" thing. We DIE of embarrassment.

Anyway, cool blog! Keep it up. And Sarah, start a blog!

Meggan said...

Although your facial expression is a classic Becky look, please update!

S.A.S. said...

As relayed to you in voice (yay, I got to hear your voice), I DIED over this post. I've been to Cheesecake Factory more with you than anyone else (sigh, our weekly dates), and would always grin at the demands (lemons, straw, a few dressings + bbq sauce, warm bread...). You should teach these people that asking can be done with class (you always had it). But it probably makes you aware of what people MIGHT ask for, and anticipate it!
Love that you got to meet (aka host) Dust. Is that the first time you've met him? I miss that little peach. He said you and Zac were the kindest hosts ever. I told him, of course you were, you're one of the most generous -people I know.

Lacy said...

Hey- yes we should keep in touch! My email is lacylowryatgmaildotcom. (I wrote it out in order to avoid spam mail.) Email me when you get a chance- we have a lot of catching up to do!

Lillie said...

Alright Beck-- I'm ready for a new post. It's like you've let me back into your life and then you disappeared. I must know the latest at the CCF.