Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A vodka what?

Apparantly, there is a difference between a gimblet vodka and a straight up vodka. Unfortunately, I had to learn this lesson the hard way. I almost killed an eighty-year old woman. She spoke softly, the music was loud, and I have no other excuses other than I am an ignorant fool. When I delivered what I thought was the vodka she ordered from the bartender I noticed a strange look on her face as the small glass hit the table. Right then I knew I had messed up. I stood there and watched her take her first sip. She nearly joked and spit the small sip back into the glass.
"What is this?" her husband hollered.
"A vodka" I answered nervously.
"That is a vodka straight up, what are you trying to do here, kill my wife?" he replied sternly. "She ordered a gimblet vodka."

I came to find out a gimblet vodka is diluted with water, juice and something else, I already forgot. I am grateful there was a difference in taste with these two drinks or else she could have finished the whole thing and I would have been responsible for her intoxication. I learned at that moment I needed to be a bit more careful about the alcoholic beverages I am serving to these trusting customers. From now on I will clarify the drink order and ask the bartender just to make certain I don't risk messing up again.

I don't know what I am doing serving alcohol. I probably know the least about that kind of stuff. I quickly received my nickname as "Becky the Mormon" and I am fulfilling this reputation, no problem. Actually the guys at work are always so kind to invite me out for a smoke, jokingly of course. The girl I trained with has the nickname of "Chrissie the stripper", so that is cool. She is really good at serving alcohol and knows everything about it because she is a retired bartender. Anyhow, hopefully my naivity doen't get me fired. Good times at the Cheesecake Factory.

3 comments:

Meggan said...

Becky! That is scary, yet an entertaining story for the blog. Did they tip you at all?

Missy said...

Slightly scary and a little bit funny too. Woops. Did you just apologize or did you try to explain yourself?

I love that the Mormon Girl trained under the Stripper Girl.

Laura Earl said...

Becky,It is me Laura (Nielsen) Earl. My brother in-law and I realized the other day that we both knew you and he was talking to your old room mate and gave me your blog link. It was great to read your blog and see what you are up to. We have a family blog too (we haven't updated it in awhile but you can check it out and our pictures too. www.earlfamilyblog.blogspot.com and www.earlfamily.shutterfly.com (password is earlfamily). email me too sometime... lauramearl@gmail.com