Saturday, December 22, 2007

I wanted to poke my eyeballs out...

Yesterday, upon my arrival to work, my manager informed me I was going to be serving a party of 26. "Sweet", I thought, money, money, money....wrong. I just happened to look out the window at the same time two large buses pulled up with a sign on the side that said, "Sun City Retirement Center." I wanted to poke my eyeballs out. If only I knew what was to come I probably really would have and put myself out of such misery. It only took them fifteen minutes to actually get out of the bus and into the restaurant. Collecting twenty-six walkers, canes and wheelchairs takes a little time I guess.

Before I could even introduce myself I started hearing old women screaming "coffee with cream, hot tea and it's freezing in here." As I was taking their drink order I noticed they all had name tags on. "What a friendly retirement home", I thought. Come to find out they all have Alzheimers and have to wear name tags so they can remember who they are.

One man ordered eggs bendict and I told him, "oh I am so sorry sir, that is only offered on Sunday mornings." His reply, "oh, well what day is it anyways?" After fifteen minutes I was done taking their order and ready to refill 26 coffees. It gets better. We have an item called the Renee's Special, as some of you may know it includes soup, salad and a half sandwich. As the food came out to the table one of the servers called out "Renee's Special" hoping to find out who it belonged to. Instead, a lady turned and said, "Renee, that's my name, and I am special, thank you." One of the couples disappeared only to find out they were visiting with another one of the tables across the restaurant.

As it came time for the check the lady in charge asked me if they could have seperate checks. At that point I started considering the worst possible scenario if I were to just quit and walk out. Unfortunately, the image of Zac and I homeless didn't sit too well in my head. I proceeded to seperate the checks (FYI: if you are getting seperate checks when you go to eat out, it is polite to tell your waitress before hand.) I only had to get change for about fifteen of them, so that was good. One of the ladies thought she gave me a twenty dollar bill, but instead she gave me ten. I caught it before the bus drove away, luckily. The whole cane and walker ordeal worked to my advantage for that part of their visit. I was able to get the lady to pay her other ten dollars out on the bus. It was a lot of fun, let me tell you.

So you are probably wondering why I am still doing this serving thing. I ask myself this question all the time. The reason is because shortly after this party left a party of 13 pulled up in a limo and made everything all better.

This is just a glimpse of what I go through everyday at work. Yeah, I guess you could say it's an emotional rollercoaster. You have to be resilient, brave and bold....oh yeah and really, really poor.

7 comments:

Jill M said...

Oh Becky, my heart goes out to you. Serving food is by far on of the hardest jobs. I promise to make my kids do it so they appreciate being served. Hey when are you in Utah?

Becky said...

i am here until saturday morning. are you here?

S.A.S. said...

Becky, did I know you were here?! And Jill - we've come so close this time! The darn snowstorm got me on the way home today (Christmas Eve). Ok, need to talk to you both.

About the ENTRY: Bex, your job kills me - you have twice the entertainment and fodder for writing than anyone with a boring office job (eg: me). I love hearing about your hilarious experiences, though I am SO sorry you have to deal with the craziness of it all. Is there a Best Server Award? I need to cast a vote...

Missy said...

I seriously love your work stories so much. They're even better on your blog than in person (on the phone). So so so funny.

Glad the limo came and you got to serve that party.

I'm still cracking up at the thought of you running out to the retirement party bus asking for $10more dollars...

Sarah said...

That is such a sad story- I can just picture you going through it all. At least you get a little break from work for the next little while.

How was your Christmas? I'd love to see pictures- we missed you guys down here!

Jennie said...

You're amazing! I know what you're talking about, having been a server myself before! You're such a great writer too, you make me laugh!

By the way, did any of those customers forget their order and demand that they ordered something else? What a nightmare!

Criscell said...

Becky, I know I have already talked to you about this horrible experience, but I am still sorry that it happened to you! I wish you could quit working! Serving is just TOO stressful! I hated it!

The pictures of you and Zac at the white coat ceremony are cute! You are so beautiful! Zac is a lucky guy! I'm glad we're friends!