Monday, October 15, 2007

Jack-O-Lantern



As all of you know, Halloween is in just over two weeks. Is anyone out there as excited as I am? For some reason I was totally craving carving a pumpkin, so I went to WalMart and bought myself one. I brought it home and asked Zac if he wanted to help me make a Jack-O-Lantern. I was rejected by my own husband. He was stressed about studying. Not only do I not have kids to do this fun holiday tradition with, but no husband as well.
I got revenge though. I decided to freak Zac out since he was not being supportive of my enthusiasm. What did I do? I started talking to "our" imaginary kids. I started telling little "Morgan" what a great job she was doing and "Garrrett" to be careful with the knife. He thought I was losing it. I thought it was entertaining. It turned out to be a good time. If you look closely at the pumpkin's eyes, it has little tears in the corners. I told Zac I put them there because this pumpkin felt unloved. He felt really bad and then I felt bad because I was just kidding around. To make up for it he helped me take this awesome picture of the final product. I know it may be different than most you've seen out there. I like to be really creative with my carving.
Hands down best part of the experience=salty, roasted pumpkin seeds. YUM!
Oh yeah and making Zac think I was a psycho. So Fun.

13 comments:

Heather said...

Becky, are you serious? I am cracking up right now.

Holly said...

I am coming to realize that you're pure comedian. I don't feel worthy to be in your presence.

Why don't you come over and feel the Halloween spirit with Emri. She'll be happy to put on her costume and show you her version of trick-or-treating (putting garbage and other random objects in her bag). Then, we can drive to Target where they have a Halloween display, and you can see her freak out about the skeletons who move and make scary sounds. And then afterward, she'll tell you all about the monsters for about 2 hours. Let me know when you would like to set this up! :)

Missy said...

You are so funny.

Can you guys please just have twins sooner rather than later? I know you're bound to get twins.

Sarah said...

That really is a great picture! I love how random you are and that you always just do things on a whim! I'm sorry that Zac is so busy right now, but you seem to be coming up with fun things to fill your lonesome time!

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

i was going to get a pumpkin too!! i might still get one but it would be purely for me (ryan and dane could care less). so i am CRAVING a really good caramel apple(s)... i think that before halloween we should get together and make some or after the midwestern trick or treat thingy that we should all get together and we can all make our own. what do you say???

oh, i am on ch 4 of that book and get this... i can only read it at night when the baby is in bed and ryan is studying and last night as i was reading ryan came in our room and said that he is sick of me reading books and ignoring him... WHAT???? I informed him that it has been years since i have read a book and i decided to start a book bc i he is always ignoring me. what a dork, huh?

sorry about the novel i just wrote

Jennie said...

You're so funny! I love that you created imaginary kids to make Zack feel bad!

I can't wait to carve our pumpkins too. But last time when I got the desire and carved our pumpkin, it didn't last 2 days in this warm weather! By the 3rd day, it had molded and was collapsing (and it was always in the shade). So, now we know to wait a little bit longer! (it never did this when we lived in CO or OR because those places are so much colder) Hope yours lasts longer than ours did!

S.A.S. said...

Ah, the lengths a med-school widow will go... You kill me Becks. I can just see sweet Zac wondering if on top of worrying about his exam, he should be worried about the sanity of his dearly beloved. The pumpkin looks fantastic. I'm sure Zac will appreciate it now that Monday exams are over!

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

becky- you have some explaining to do... zac told me your BIG secret!!

ashley said...

nice work. talking to imaginary kids? that is so funny.
and pumpkin is my favorite kind of cheesecake at your work- eat one for me please, it sounds so so good right now.

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

sorry, people probably thought you were pregnant from my previous post. that is not the secret that i was refering too...but they are trying...:) JUST KIDDING!

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

Becky, I gotta know... is zac super excited???

i will add a new post today since you asked me so nicely.

Lillie said...

I did wonder if you were pregnant from Carlie's first comment... luckily about 3 seconds later I read her second comment.

Ok so I'm totally inspired to carve a pumpkin now. Ross always wants to and I never really jump on so we never end up doing it. But yours is so cute and I DO have a kid that would probably love it. That's it, it's family night tomorrow....

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

okay...time for a new post, picture, or funny story. thanks.