Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Speak before you think...


I know it is suppose to be "think before you speak", but I guess I get the two confused because I have had some pretty bad instances of sticking my foot in my mouth big time at work. Upon popular demand, here are a few examples:

#1 Picture with me if you will, a large group of 14 baseball players walk into Cheesecake Factory at the very end of my shift. They all order water and wont stop asking for bread. They share meals and ask for seperate checks. Am I happy? NO. I just want to go home and not stay another hour for this lame party. I overhear them talking about their drive back to Provo and put two and two together and think to ask if they are LDS. I wasn't necessarily shocked to hear they were indeed Mormon. In fact I spit out of my frustrated mouth with out thinking obviously, "Yeah, I figured you guys were Mormon. Mormons always order water and want lots of bread." Oops. That came across as really rude and I didn't really have it in me at that point to try to make it better. It gets better, turns out they know one of my really close friends from college. I am sure she will hear about how nice I was.

#2 A table of six African Americans, five vulumptuous middle-aged women and one older looking man. They are super loud, order a ton of drinks from the bar and are celebrating a birthday for the man at the table. The time comes when I get to sing Happy Birthday while delivering the cheesecake with a candle in it. I asked the women (who appeared to be his daughter) what her dad's name was so we could sing to him. With the exception of the gentleman, all five ladies start laughing histarically. So loud the entire restaurant was looking at the table. Turns out it was her husband. My bad. No matter how hard you try to get out of that one, you just can't.

#3. A booth for six with a pregnant lady and her husband sitting alone waiting for the others to arrive. I take a drink order and make small talk. I asked her when she was due. Before she could answer her mother came up behind me with a newborn in a carseat. Shoot, she already had the baby. I am not kidding, she still looked nine months pregnant. No, she looked 12 months pregnant. I felt really bad. She handled it well. I don't think her husband was very amused.

#4 As I am approaching the table I recognize the man as someone I just recently served. I say, "Hey, I just served you two the other day." They both looked up and I realized it was the same guy with a different girl. Obviously she knows she wasn'y just there the other day and he knows I remember him with another girl. AWKARD!! They were on a first date and I only made their nervous-ness even worse.

#5 If that's not enough here is one more. A girl, mid twenties, sitting at a table. She orders drinks for herself and for her "honey" she speaks of. I bring the drinks to the table and say, "here is your iced tea and a Coke for your husband." Just guess who creeps around the corner to this very table as I am saying this? Another women. They are totally lesbians.


So lets see if I've covered all the major issues people are easily offended over- religion, age, weight, dating and homosexuality. Yep, I've taken care of them all. Good to know nobody's perfect I guess.

The Cheesecake Factory may be a tedious job, but I am always entertained by my stupidity.

16 comments:

Holly said...

You are so funny Becky! I love to hear your stories of the joys of waitressing! It makes me remember those times when I did stupid things like spill a plate of food down a guys back and the person on the microphone in front felt it necessary to embarrass me more by talking about it to the whole crowd. Awful! But yet again, it makes for great stories afterwards!

Missy said...

I'm dying Beck! I'm laughing out loud. I'm so glad you posted these. So, so funny. I love hearing about you and your work stories. I can't even decide which is the worst mistake. Oh my gosh, can't stop laughing...

lauren said...

are you kidding me that is the funniest post i have read in a long time! keep up the good work.

S.A.S. said...

Becky Becky Becky, I love you for so many reasons, and these are just a few. All honest mistakes... all hilarious to relay, and all potentially helpful, in the long run. My favorite is the date recognition - accidentally calling that guy out as he schmoozed girl #2 (or 4 or 14). You really do have such an entertaining job, and must add to the liveliness of your 'client's lives. Share more often, these stories can't be beat.

Sarah said...

I agree that those are all honest mistakes, but hilarious kown the less! Maybe you should just stop trying to make small talk for a little while!

Jules said...

Those are hilarious! I am going to the Cheesecake factory for bookclub tonight, I hope I have a waitress as funny and beautiful as you! And... p.s. I'm ordering water for sure!!!!! Julie (your cousin)

Jennie said...

You poor thing! I totally laughed out loud at your comments! Don't worry, I probably would've said made the same mistakes.

But, I'm just glad that no one asks when I'm due anymore, even though they could clearly see the newborn baby in the carseat next to me. Ooh, those comments were to worst for me!

And I agree, Mormons are so cheap!

Lauren said...

Becky, I'm a friend of Lillie's. We live in Gilbert and I laughed so hard at your post! Totally hilarious! I'm sure that you're a great waitress. It's peaked my interest- maybe I'll have to drive to YOUR Cheesecake Factory and request you. :)

Lacy said...

Awsome. I love it.

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

haha those are funny stories. would you hurry up and move over here to san lagos already??!!! i need someone to hang out with when i am bored, the baby is in bed, and ryan is at school. i promise we can watch the office and eat ice cream, reeces pieces, twix, and starbursts all night.

Meggan said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Beck, those are TOO funny. You definitely covered them all. Those are all things I would say too. That's the sad part.

ashley said...

becky, this is the funniest thing ever. sorry that these had to happen, but they are a crack up. i do stuff like this all the time.

La said...

Hilarious! I picked a good day to come and see your blog, I really needed a good laugh! So glad you found my blog so I could subsequently find yours!!!

The Joslyn Family said...

Hi Becky-I'm new at the whole blogging thing and I think the first comment I wrote you didn't work, but sorry if you get 2 from me. It will be fun to keep in touch. Looks like things are going well for you guys. -whitney

Jill M said...

Becky,
I love that you are not specific in your discrimination and cover all the bases. I hate those moments of oops. I always get caught talking about someone who is behind me.

Mands Glenn said...

Becky, You are so freeking funny. I loved reading all of these stories especially about the baseball players. It is so mormon to eat lots of bread and water! ha! It was great playing V-ball with you and can't wait for Sonic on Tues.